Friday, August 15, 2014

Car Rental Review: 2014 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition


National's 2014 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition:
  • Rented from: Philadelphia 30th Street Station
  • Car Class: Full Size (FCAR)
  • Miles Out: 10,903
  • Miles In: 11,089
  • Fuel Economy: 24 city, 34 highway with 1.8 liter turbocharged 4-cyl engine and 6 speed Tiptronic automatic
  • MSRP as rented: $23,995



Pros:
  • Perky turbocharged 4 cylinder engine with little turbo lag
  • Roomy interior
  • Spacious trunk
  • Wolfsburg Edition offers a few more standard features than the base level S models National usually rent out.
  • Firm, comfortable ride with good fuel economy
Cons:
  • Sirius trial was up.
  • Not as loaded as other FCAR's I've rented, such as the Ford Fusion Titanium
  • Proprietary MDI cable in this particular vehicle was for the last generation iPhone/iPod (VW should just go USB like everyone else.)
  • Not a fan of the imitation leather.



On another day trip to Philadelphia July 4th weekend, I was offered a Passat as an upgrade. Having never rented one, I took it thinking it would be the base level S model that I talked the agent out of giving me at my local station a few weeks before. I was surprised to see that this one was a Wolfsburg Edition, which is a slight step up from the S (there was a S model in the stall next to this one...some poor sap ended up with it...guess it was just luck!). 

The Wolfsburg Edition adds fancy fender badges, special rubber floor mats, heated V-Tex leatherette seats, a 8 way power driver's seat with power lumbar, and a six speaker stereo with MDI hookup and Sirius satellite radio (unfortunately, the trial subscription was up, though). 

One of the nice things about the Wolfsburg is that it comes with the 1.8 liter turbocharged 4-cylinder - check for the TSI badge on the right side of the trunk lid. 170 horses and awesome fuel economy to boot - I averaged nearly 30 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. The engine was peppy and turbo lag was minimal. I've yet to drive a Passat or any VW with the normal 2.5 liter 5-cylinder, but from what I've read so far, it leaves much to be desired.

The Passat had the typical features for cars in this price range, but alas, having been spoiled by fully loaded FCAR rentals such as the Ford Fusion Titanium, this vehicle leaves me wanting more. I was particularly annoyed that the MDI cable that came with this car was for the last generation iPhone - that also makes me wonder why Volkswagen won't get with the program and offer a USB port like everybody else. There is Bluetooth Audio, but the track information does not show on the stereo, nor can you can control the tracks like you can in some other cars. 

Despite it's shortcomings, it was a pleasant enough rental. If I had to choose between this and say, a base Nissan Altima, I'd choose this. My favorite FCAR these days is a Ford Fusion Titanium...something that gives you one of the best values for your rental dollar!

No comments:

Post a Comment