Thursday, August 14, 2014

Car Rental Review: 2014 GMC Acadia SLT1 AWD




National's 2014 GMC Acadia SLT1 AWD

  • Rented from: Stamford, CT
  • Car Class: Premium Crossover (PGAR)
  • Miles Out: 4900
  • Miles In: 6916
  • Fuel Economy: 16 city/23 highway with 3.6L V6 engine and 6 speed automatic 
  • MSRP as Rented: $43,745
Pros:
  • Working XM satellite radio
  • Comfortable leather seats, as well as 2nd row captain's chairs that recline for long rides.
  • Decent room for cargo even with all three rows up.
  • Smooth ride on the highway. 
  • Nicely loaded with goodies such as IntelliLink, power liftgate, remote start, tri-zone climate control, heated power seats, backup sensors and camera, and 10 speaker Bose audio.
  • New for 2014: 2 charge-only USB ports in the second row
Cons:
  • A bit thirsty on gas.
  • Plasticky interior bits are kinda tacky, but not as tacky as the plastic wood in the Chevy Traverse.
  • Soft touch buttons are still finicky.
  • GM has not updated the keys to the new switch-blade style for these SUV's yet...so you are stuck trying to manage two sets of keys and separate fobs that are usually bound together. Use a carabiner if you've got one.
  • Main USB port for the audio system is still in the awkward cubby location on the dash.
For Memorial Day weekend, I went on a road trip to North Carolina with my family. I originally booked my usual Intermediate reservation, hoping I would get upgraded into a full-size car on arrival - something that has happened many a time this year.

I get to the counter on Thursday afternoon after work and was offered a Jetta, a RAV4 and something else I can't remember. Considering the fact I was planning on traveling with 4 other people, I see the white Acadia and inquire about it. 

Unfortunately, since it was the holiday weekend, the manager wasn't allowed to upgrade me into it for free. He did however give me the lowest upgrade charge per day he could, which was $15. It could've been worse. I agreed to the charge and was on my way.

I rented it's platform-mate, the Chevy Traverse, last year. It is pretty much the same...except the lighting is GMC red, the MyLink system is now "IntelliLink", and the similarly trimmed GMC retails for around $5K more.

It pretty much rides the same as the Traverse. My family enjoyed having some extra room. There was still plenty of room for all our stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment